|Grand opening tonight FULL PAGE ad from the Newburgh News on May 5, 1950|
|Newburgh News: Grand opening tonight.|
*** All information and images here are from NewYorkDriveins.com , as was printed in The Newburgh News ***
Newburgh’s first drive-in theater, situated off Cochecton Turnpike just west of the city, will present its first show this evening after a year and a half of work.
The long period of preparation, necessitated by construction and weather difficulties, has resulted in facilities which make of the drive-in one of the best in this part of the country.
The sweeping surfaced ramps will accomodate 700 cars, each of which will have is own individually-controlled speaker.
The huge screen tower on the lake shore is 70 feet high. Its 2,000 square feel will present a huge image to spectators in the parked cars.
In the center of the area, just behind the projection booth, is a refreshement pavalion where members of the audience may eat and drink while continuing to watch performance. Restrooms are situated at rear of pavillion.
In the projection booth are two projectors with the most powerful arc-lamp lights of their type.
Two uniformed patrolmen will be on duty tonight- Howard Rogers and Deputy Sheriff Stephen Koran.
The area will be lighted by the soft glow lights on top of a 100-foot “moonbeam pole.”
Two-lane roads lead to and from the theater.