Excerpted from E. M. Ruttenber’s History of Orange County, New York (1881), and John J Nutt’s Newburgh; Her Institutions, Industries and Leading Citizens. (1891)
In 1852 a field was purchased at the corner of First and Stone Streets, and a cemetery opened.
St. Patrick’s Cemetery is under the charge of St. Patrick’s Roman Catholic Church. The first documentary evidence of the existence of Catholics in Newburgh is found in a letter written by Bishop Connolly, of New York, in the year 1818. From other sources, however, it is learned that for several years previously, certainly as early as 1816, divine service was held from time to time in Newburgh by visiting clergymen from New York.
St. Patrick’s Cemetery, bounded by Broadway, Prospect and First Streets, is the resting place of the Roman Catholic dead.