Hudson River Day Line

The Daylight Sail between New York and Albany is Nature’s Greatest “Movie”

Travelogue of the Hudson

TRAVELOGUES, of recent years, have been increasingly popular on the screen. Through the eye of the motion-picture camera, all the world, and all parts of our own magnificent country, have been brought within the reach of thousands of people who have not the means to travel extensively.

Pictures, no matter how animated or faithfully colored, are after all only pictures, and but serve to whet the appetite to see in reality the scenes they present to the imagination.

Day Line Steamers are of steel construction, swift and exceptionally well appointed. They are famous for the beauty of their lines. Built entirely for first-class passengers and carrying no freight, they cater exclusively to the safety, comfort and pleasure of travelers and vacationists.

All through railroad tickets from New York to Albany, and from Albany to New York, are accepted on the Day Line, which makes it easy to make the trip a part of almost any journey. Summer vacationists find it an unsurpassed route to and from the Berkshires, the Catskills, the Adirondacks, Saratoga, Lakes George and Champlain, the Thousand Islands, Canada; all points North, East, and West.

One day trips are always popular and include excursions from New York and Yonkers to Indian Point, Bear Mountain, West Point, Newburgh and Poughkeepsie, and return. From Albany one can go to Hudson, Catskill or Kingston Point and return

Nature’s Greatest “Movie”

In the Hudson River, nature possesses a great living “movie.” It has beauty and grandeur. On it history has laid a significant finger. Its banks are brilliant with the memories of great men. Legends and bright fancies are its heritage.

The names of five of the Day Line steamers in themselves give a suggestive resume of the Hudson’s glorious past. “Hendrick Hudson” goes back to the river’s earliest days in history, the days when an intrepid Englishman, employed b the Dutch East India Company, crossed the ocean in a tiny sailing craft to open this great world river to European civilization. Two centuries later came “Robert Fulton,” who, in the face of ridicule and discouragement, used the Hudson’s waters to first successfully apply steam power to navigation. “Peter Stuyvesant,” the last of the sturdy Dutch Governors of New Amsterdam when Old New York was young, has lent his name to the newest of the Day Line Fleet. A few years later, “De Witt Clinton” raised the Hudson to new importance by making it the natural part of an inland waterway which linked the Great Lakes with the ocean. “Alexander Hamilton” is named after one of America’s greatest statesmen and the founder of the financial policy of the Republic. The “Chauncey M. Depew,” honors a man still a potent force in the Nation’s affairs.

From an entertainment standpoint, we might consider the Day Line trip between New York and Albany a travelogue in six reels, each different and each of surpassing interest.

 
 New York to Tarrytown

Reel One. Leaving the New York pier, points of interest fairly leap forward to command the traveler’s attention. The famous sky line of New York is in itself a wonderful panorama. Piled tower on tower loom the great pinnacles of commerce in which the business of half the world is transacted, all in excellent perspective as we swing out into the river. As the steamer begins to sweep northward, she passes great ocean-liners on either hand, and often great naval vessels mid-stream. We pass the attractive residences and apartment houses of Riverside Drive, with the striking Soldiers and Sailors Monument and the classic pile of Grant’s Tomb as points of focal interest.

In an incredibly short time, so fast is our pace, the city begins to give place to country, while still opposite Manhattan Island, one begins to see trees and wooded slopes which suggest the forest rather than the park. On the west bank factories and ship terminals have now given place to the imposing Palisades, that rugged and unique rampart of upstanding rock which stretches in an unbroken line for twenty-five miles. Fortunately it is now a park and its beautiful columns and feathery foliage are safe for all time. In tents and canoes city folk enjoy pristine beauties.

After a stop at Yonkers and with Hastings behind, the Palisades end abruptly at Piermont and we enter a new stage of the journey.

Tarrytown to Indian Point

Reel Two. Here the river broadens and the banks grow lower. We are in the Tappan Zee, in the eyes of the early Dutch and as its name indicates, an inland sea. A ferry plies across its broad waters between the low-set towns of Nyack and Tarrytown. Sing Sing is recognized by its yellow buildings, with beautiful Ossining lying above on the hills. Then come Croton Point and a second bay opposite Haverstraw. We pass close to Stony Point, now a well-kept park. Our imagination can picture “Mad” Anthony Wayne and his courageous colonials scaling its rocky sides. Opposite Stony Point lies Indian Point, a noted meeting place of the red men where they might look out over the broad expanse of the river and where is now located the new Day Line Resort of 320 acres of lawn, woods, lake and farm.

Ahead begin to rise hills of impressive size. Peekskill nestles at their feet.

The Highlands- Indian Point to Cornwall

Reel Three. The passage of the Highlands occupies a full hour and is one of the most beautiful water journeys in the world. That such wild, rugged scenery should exist only forty miles from New York is indeed remarkable. Bold, verdure-clad mountains rising directly from the water’s edge little changed by the close-pressing population of the Empire State, are a perpetual delight. Close within the southern portal is Bear Mountain Park, a great natural playground under interstate control. From Anthony’s Nose, Bear Mountain Bridge spans he river. Above here the river curves away to Highland Falls and the castle-like architecture of West Point. Garrison and Cold Springs are towns of interest, and then the steamer swiftly glides past Old Cro’ Nest, Storm King, Taurus and Breakneck Mountains into Newburgh Bay. From Cornwall we gaze back at the beautiful picture of the receding Highlands.

The Mid-river, Cornwall to Poughkeepsie

Reel Four. We are now in Newburgh Bay. The close-clustering houses of the city of Newburgh lie on the west bank, with Washington’s Headquarters one of the prominent features. Beacon and Mount Beacon lie opposite. the cars of the latter’s inclined railway continually climb its face like huge beetles.

 

After leaving Newburgh, the landscape changes again. The banks are nearer together, well-wooded and undulating. Prosperous towns and estates are passed at frequent intervals. The great cantilever bridge at Poughkeepsie is of outstanding interest. It is the first span to attempt the Hudson crossing. At its feet we pause a moment and a little later pass the down boat from Albany.

Catskill Region- Poughkeepsie to Hudson

Reel Five. It is almost an hour’s run to Kingston Point, southern gateway to the Catskills, but long before this point, the playground of “Rip Van Winkle” dominates the western skyline. The outlines are clear or hazy, blue or purple, according to the season or the weather. The traveler never tires watching them. Nearer at hand, on the river banks, one gets “close-ups” of goodly estates and farming country. Beautiful Esopus Island is passed mid-stream.

Catskill is seemingly at the very foot of the mountains and is only a little south of Hudson, a charming city, and (would you believe it?) once a whaling port.

Transplanted Holland- Hudson to Albany

Reel Six. We are now in the last stage of the journey, a region entirely different from everything that has gone before. The banks grow still closer. “Close-ups” are more frequent. Waves from our wake wash on the nearby shore. The country is fertile meadowland, so low that frequent dikes keep back the Hudson’s water. Islands are numerous and the channel is narrow. As we near Castleton we pass under the New York Central Railroad Bridge.

Bridges and chimneys ahead with the State Capitol on a hill top proclaim Albany. Our trip ends with the opening of the draw bridge and docking at the Day Line Pier.

This travelogue has taken us up the river. The trip is equally fascinating in the opposite direction.

Newburgh Again: Brookside On The Lake Drive-In Theatre: Grand Opening May 5, 1950

Grand opening tonight FULL PAGE ad from the Newburgh News on May 5, 1950
Newburgh News: Grand opening tonight.
*** All information and images here are from NewYorkDriveins.com , as was printed in The Newburgh News ***

Newburgh’s first drive-in theater, situated off Cochecton Turnpike just west of the city, will present its first show this evening after a year and a half of work.

 
The long period of preparation, necessitated by construction and weather difficulties, has resulted in facilities which make of the drive-in one of the best in this part of the country.
 
The sweeping surfaced ramps will accomodate 700 cars, each of which will have is own individually-controlled speaker.
 
The huge screen tower on the lake shore is 70 feet high. Its 2,000 square feel will present a huge image to spectators in the parked cars.
 
In the center of the area, just behind the projection booth, is a refreshement pavalion where members of the audience may eat and drink while continuing to watch performance. Restrooms are situated at rear of pavillion.
 
In the projection booth are two projectors with the most powerful arc-lamp lights of their type.
 
Two uniformed patrolmen will be on duty tonight- Howard Rogers and Deputy Sheriff Stephen Koran.
 
The area will be lighted by the soft glow lights on top of a 100-foot “moonbeam pole.”
 
Two-lane roads lead to and from the theater.




The Hudson River Valley by John Reed

Copyright 1960


Newburgh. The old bell tower for the ferry.
The broad streets of Newburgh run down to the river where some of its last ferry boats shuttle.
Washington’s headquarters, Newburgh.






Now Playing at the Ritz: Northern Pursuit (December 9, 1943)

RITZ
Errol Flynn in Warner Bros’.
NORTHERN PURSUIT



“ADVENTURE SWEEPING THROUGH A MILLION MILES OF WILDERNESS- THE HEROIC NORTHWEST MOUNTED IN ACTION IN A STORY AS MIGHTY AS THE LAND THEY PATROL!”

 

Now Playing at the Ritz: Gildersleeve on Broadway (December 6, 1943)

* * * RITZ * * *
2 NEW FEATURES
 
TUESDAY      WEDNESDAY      THURSDAY
 &

Now Playing at the Ritz: The Iron Major (December 4, 1943)

In this true story, Frank Cavanaugh proves himself as a football coach and a World War I hero.

 

Newburgh News Advertisement (click here for original movie trailer)
Convincing and realistic is “The Iron Major.” Pat O’Brien‘s new film proves to be a surprisingly entertaining film that is a well deserved tribute to a great American – the late Major Frank Cavanaugh. Cavanaugh was a Massachusetts boy who, at Dartmouth, Holy Cross, Boston College, and Fordham, became one of the greatest football coaches of all time, and who on the battlefields of France in 1918  became one of the nation’s heroes. Ruth Warrick plays Cav’s loyal wife and Robert Ryan the coach’s former teammate.

The Palatine: Model Hotel of the Hudson Valley

THE PALATINE
 
Model Hotel of the Hudson Valley
Ownership Management Carl Willmsen
 
NEWBURGH, NY.
American Plan, Open all Year
 
At the North End of the Storm King Highway and only 18 miles from Bear Mountain Bridge.
 
A most natural stop between New York and Albany or New England and Pennsylvania points.

 

THE PALATINE
 HARKING back to the historical associations of the city resulted in the choice of the word “Palatine” as the name for the leading hotel of the Hudson Valley, for in the beginnings of the city the name had its origin. In the winter of 1708-09, a little party of 53 persons, all in abject poverty came hither under a grant from Queen Anne of England. They were in search of freedom, having been driven from their homes on the Palatinate of the Rhine. They were called the Palatines. Others of their kindred started to join them, but finally took another course, passing over the Mohawk Trail and settling in Utica.
 
The name was somewhat prophetic, for the Palatine from its inception became more than a mere temporary abode or refuge for a traveler. Your traveler’s first impression of it will be that of a comfortable, well equipped hotel serving its guests admirably and he will soon sense that it is at once a home and a community center.
 
The hotel is most fortunately situated. Withdrawn from the haunts of business and the noise, at a point where the outlook is one of pleasant green lawns, it is yet within easy walking distance of the city’s activities. From the veranda and rear rooms is a commanding view of the Hudson as it sweeps majestically on, an unobstructed vista of 20 miles or river, flanked by mountain scenery.
 

Crawford House (1959)

As reprinted from the Newburgh, New York 250th Celebration (July 5 thru July 12, 1959)  program book:

Headquarters of
OPEN HOUSE
July 6-12 {1959}     —     2:00-5:00 P.M.
The Public Is Invited     —     Tea Will Be Served
There will be  a temporary exhibit of historic materials, paintings, china and furniture, as well as those things which are in this beautiful and historic house permanently. A small but charming garden is another feature.
COMMITTEE
MISS HELEN VER NOOY GEARN, Chairman
         
MRS. WILLIAM CLEMENT SCOTT                MRS. RALPH W. STEVEN   
MISS ANNE WELLS                           MRS. FREDERICK R. SMALL
MRS. J. TOWNSEND CASSEDY                  MR. OLIVER SHIPP       
MR. and MRS. C. D. ROBINSON               MRS. CLARK SMITH       
MR. CHARLES H. FLETCHER                   MR. CLARENCE STETSER   
On March 9, 1830, David Crawford was leased Lot 39 on the Glebe map for a period of 900 years. On it, he built his handsome home. This was 120 years from the settling of Newburgh by the Palatines, midway of the city’s history. Newburgh was then a village of 6,000.
The Ionic columns, the Palladian windows, front and back, and the second floor balcony under the overhanging top floor at the front are reminiscent of all gracious Georgian period homes.
The house has an interior exquisitely executed. Over-windows, doors and cornices are deeply carved. The Dolphin of the newell post is possibly the work of a Massachusetts ship figurehead carver. The doors between the two parlors repeat the carving and column motif of the Greek Revival so loved by the architects of the Georgian Period.
MISS MARY ROGERS, President
         
MR. OLIVER SHIPP, 1st Vice Pres.        MISS LUCY ALDRIDGE,  3rd Vice Pres. 
MR. CLARENCE STETSER 2nd Vice Pres.     MR. GERALD C. STOWE, 4th Vice Pres. 
MRS. M. SEYMOUR PURDY, Rec Sec’y        MISS IRENE WEGLE, Corres. Sec’y    
MR. CLARENCEW TRAPHAGEN, Treasurer
 
CRAWFORD HOUSE                           189 MONTGOMERY STREET, NEWBURGH, N.Y.

250th Celebration 1709-1959

250th Celebration
NEWBURGH, NEW YORK
1709     ~     1959
JULY 5 thru JULY 12, 1959
~ The First Newburghers
spend their first Christmas in America. On December 25, 1708, Pastor Joshua Kockerthal leads his flock of German Palatines, jut arrived in New York City, to service at Dutch Lutheran Church, at the present corner of Broadway and Rector Street, where he is welcomed by the Rev. Justus Falconer.
350th Hudson  ~  Champlain
Celebration
1609     ~     1959
PRICE: FIFTY CENTS